Andrologist is a specialist who treats men, or rather, various conditions affecting the male genital. Its competence includes the detection of abnormalities in anatomical features and endocrinological disorders. In addition, an andrologist corrects the patient’s psychosexual state, talks and teaches his patients about the prophylaxis of such illnesses.
There is also a children’s direction in the field of andrology. Such a specialist deals with absolutely the same problems that are listed above, only the patients are of a different age category. Anthology is considered to be an interdisciplinary field of medicine. This is due to the fact that it is tightly connected with such sciences as endocrinology and sexopathology, urology and microsurgery, venereology and dermatology, and even plastic and vascular surgery. This is because the male reproductive system is so interesting and difficult arranged. Its coordinated work depends on many factors, for example, on hormonal and psycho-emotional conditions, etc.
What diseases does an andrologist cure?
- Sexually transmitted infections (STIs) and inflammatory processes of the genitourinary system
In this case, a man experiences pain, burning, itching, eruptions, partial or complete urination disorder, sores, vesicles, pimples in the genital area. These and other symptoms manifest themselves depending on the illness (prostatitis, chlamydia, gonorrhea, syphilis and others).
- Decreased sex drive
When a man loses interest in a beloved woman, this is not always the result of a monotonous sexual life. This behavior of a man can occur against the background of the development of urological diseases. These conditions include prostatitis and urethritis. Also, the weakening of libido occurs due to hormonal imbalance or as an adverse effect of certain medications.
Only an andrologist has the right to diagnose decreased libido and determine the causes of it. Moreover, a decrease in sexual desire can eventually be transformed into impotence.
- Erectile dysfunction (impotence)
- Absence of erection. A man should consult an andrologist if in his sexual life there are not only adequate (during intimacy), but also spontaneous morning and night erections. This pathology has an organic form. If, in the absence of an adequate erection, the spontaneous remains, the pathology is of a psychological nature
- Weak erection. When a man notices a decrease in the frequency of erections, insufficient hardness of the penis during sex, one should also visit an andrologist for an advice. In this case, erectile dysfunction can be caused by vascular, neurogenic, hormonal disorders. In rare cases — by psychological problems. Treatment of this illness can be very different. It all depends on a particular situation. Often are prescribed pills, injections and a special massage for impotence
- Inability to maintain an erection. A serious reason for a visit to an andrologist is premature ejaculation. Often it occurs at the beginning of sexual intercourse or even before it, after kissing or intimate caresses. This is due to problems with the vascular system. When impotence is psychogenic, premature ejaculation is observed rarely
- Urination disorders and other dysfunctions of the genital organs
For example, you constantly want to go to the toilet, but the bladder is not fully emptied. Or the process of urination is painful and difficult. Such symptoms can indicate a violation of emptying the bladder. Dysuria occurs when the prostate gland greatly increases in size and prevents urination. In this case, an andrologist prescribes an operation to remove the prostate, which is called prostatectomy.
5. Male infertility
This pathology is expressed in the impossibility of conceiving a child. This deviation attracts an increasing attention of andrologists. No wonder, since the age of infertile men goes beyond the average. And the problem itself is encountered more often. And this is preceded by a number of different reasons. For instance: congenital anomalies, bad environmental conditions, consequences of an illness, including venereal ones, trauma of the genital organs, disorders of the nervous system.
In the majority of cases, modern medicine effectively copes with male infertility. The main thing is not to delay the visit to an andrologist.
Also, an andrologist can help you in case of:
- Prostate adenoma. It often occurs in men after 40 as a benign neoplasm of the prostate.
- A condition in which the tip of the penis is squeezed due to narrowing of the foreskin, which makes it impossible to completely expose it
- Male climax. It is rather not an illness, but a physiological process. However, when it is accompanied by complaints from the urinary or cardiovascular system, the patient needs medical attention
- Inflammatory process in the prostate gland. Andrologist can provide you with chronic prostatitis treatment guidelines
- Characterized by the widening of the veins of the spermatic cord
Andrologist is contacted to choose the appropriate type of contraception or a perfect medicine for erectile dysfunction. For example — a premature ejaculation drug.
Preparation for the appointment
Before you go to see your andrologist, you need to take a shower and put on clean underwear.
What’s happening during the appointment? First of all, the doctor will carefully examine the patient’s complaints. Thus, he or she can get all the information about the clinical picture. At the appointment there is an external examination of the genital organs. The prostate gland is palpable through the rectum. Depending on the situation, the doctor will conduct a few additional tests. Also, the patient will get recommendations regarding a treatment regimen. The doctor will also tell about methods of preventing the illness.
Types of additional surveys
You may need one of the following tests:
- Doppler examination of urinary tract vessels
- Ultrasound of the penis, scrotum, prostate
- A smear from the urethra
- Detection of PSA (prostatic specific antigen)
- Analysis to identify venereal diseases
- Consultation of other specialists
Your health and a full sex life is your responsibility. Do not delay a visit to an andrologist if there are any unpleasant symptoms in the genital area. Lead a healthy, mobile lifestyle. Then your masculine strength will not leave you until old age.